If You Are One of Those Artists Who Is Really Sick and Tired of Wasting So Much Time at the Computer Doing Things That Ought To Be Simple, and You Really Can't Imagine That ANY Left-Brained Activity Could Be Even Remotely Fun,
Then You Absolutely Have to Read Every Word of This Letter.
Dear fellow artist who doesn't want to believe that taking the time to learn tech stuff can actually help you spend MORE time in your studio,
Has this ever happened to you? You sit down to do a quick 15 minute job at the computer and 2 hours later, you're tearing your hair out wondering why this has to be so hard.
Or you decide to (finally!) figure out how to keep better track of your sales and take better care of your customers (using some program better suited to a CPA or a rocket scientist).
But then your mile-long to-do list calls you and the random busy-ness of every day life distracts you and, well, that's that.
So you just make do with the way you've been doing it (a giant stack of post-it notes?), wishing that you knew an easier way.
Maybe you buy an iPad and before you get a chance to research which apps are best or easiest to use (there are only 225,000 or so apps made especially for iPad), your kids need a ride to baseball practice, or you have a show opening in a couple of weeks to get ready for.
Believe me, I know how hard it is to carve out time to get more organized, to master a computer skill, or to hone your marketing chops when all you really want is to be in your studio creating your art.
Can you believe that taking the time NOW to learn simple skills, simple apps and new work habits will actually create more time for you to spend in the studio? Getting away from your distractions is the key.
I know this works. In addition to my photographic art, I play music. But my to-do list distracts me and I don't make the time to practice or learn a new skill to make me a better player.
Then I go away to a week-long workshop. The everyday distractions recede. I'm in the company of fellow musicians who are going through the same challenges, and we all grow and learn together in a safe, friendly environment (and we go home with renewed energy, and the confidence to keep going).
Let's meet at the beach. It's a great place to learn and explore.
Join Me at the Beach in Sandbridge, Virginia for
5 Days of Focused Group Workshops
Combined with Plenty of Free Time to Integrate and
Process What You Learn (and just chill).
September 23–29, 2012
5 Days Chock Full of Simple Photo, Tech and Marketing
Especially for Artists Like You
(you won't believe how super easy I will make this—Guaranteed Overwhelm-Free—that's my promise to you)
The class size is small (8 maximum) so you'll get
lots of personal attention during the week.
(These spaces are filling up fast!)
• Get away from all of your day-to-day distractions and to-dos in a beautiful house overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Comfortable lodging for 6 nights in your own private room. Swimming pool, hot tub, and all the usual beachy extras (like sand) included.
• Yummy dinners provided by our own personal chef (special diets accommodated—food survey after registration). You don't have to worry about menu planning, shopping lists, or trips to the store. After class is over, you can just relax and smell the brownies baking.
• Space to dream, connect with nature, and relax (hey, this IS a retreat too)
You can walk the on the beach, swim, count dolphins, gulls and pelicans (no penguins), visit the nearby wildlife refuge, do a little sketching, or just plain chill out. (free time is super important for wannabe geeks).
• Lots of informal conversation time... Some of our biggest a-ha's come during chats over dinner, or at the beach. We all go through the same challenges and can help each other out.
• Sunrises, movie nights, cookouts, maybe even a crab feast. Oh, and chocolate.
Individual Strategy Session --
take your art business to the next level
You get to choose what we talk about so that you go back home with exactly what you need—anything from brainstorming to website strategy to an intensive tech how-to session at the computer. (Believe me I know how challenging this stuff can be—I'll take you by the hand and make it really easy).
The Simple Marketing Sessions
There are a lot of ways to get publicity these days. Many of the best are free.
One of the biggest challenges many artists have is being organized and ready for these marketing opportunities.
Here are some of the core subjects we'll explore during the Simple Marketing Sessions:
- Tips and tweaks to find your files, feel better organized (and never miss an opportunity again)
- A simple way to build a library of images and text that you can use—and find easily—whenever you need them
- One of the most important things that most artists leave off of their websites and why it loses them money and opportunities.
- Why you should document everything you do (you'll be surprised—taking the time to do this now will actually save you hours and hours each month) Even documenting your mistakes can increase your standing and authority in the art world, and among your competition.
- How to create an operations manual (doesn't that sound like just the LAST thing you'd ever want to do?) We'll explore how one app can make this easy, and why an operations manual (especially for right-brainers) will make you feel better organized and ready for anything.
- How blogging can increase your online presence, bring more visitors to your website and build your expert status online (You'll finally realize just how completely do-able this is without taking away from your precious studio time).
- How to reach more people through collaboration (without compromising your own integrity or vision)
You'll have more time in your studio because you won't waste so much time doing things twice and hunting for things in your computer.
And you'll have more money since you will know exactly what you need—no one will ever be able to talk you into expensive, complex software or systems again.
Is This for Me? My Art is Different...
Yeah, but... I just want to hire someone to do all this tech and marketing for me.
You need to have the time to do your amazing artwork, and not spend your hours entering numbers in the computer, tracking sales, or packing and shipping.
My genius work is making this easy for you.
My guarantee: Once you spend this week at the beach with me, you will know what you really need so that you'll be able to hire smartly and wisely.
You'll save lots and lots of money, because you'll know exactly what you need, and no one will be able to talk you into a too-complex website, or a $3,000 program or service that can only be maintained by a high-priced techie person.
The iPad Sessions
And all this without you being chained to a desk in a little office, wishing you had more time in your studio.
The iPad is your best ally, and goes with you wherever you go—the iPad is your office! (though if you've been following me for a while, you know I will still make you turn it off when you go into the studio).
Here are just a few of the apps and services we'll cover during The iPad Sessions:
- The absolute best app you must have for tracking your art, your customers and your sales (you won't believe how easy this is)
- Hidden features of the Square app for iPad that make it simpler than ever to take credit cards and close sales
- An easy way to track and categorize your income and expenses (without learning QuickBooks or even opening a spreadsheet)
- Strategies to combat email overwhelm, time your work, tame your schedule and more
- iPad Master Class (see below)
In each short session, I'll guide you through the features and benefits of the app, and provide worksheets to help you customize the teachings to fit your own needs. (and don't worry, we'll have plenty of implementation time and individual attention so you won't feel overwhelmed)
You'll return home with a toolkit of apps and a simple plan for using them day to day to help create more time in your studio.
But Laurie, I don't have an iPad…
If you already have an iPod Touch, you can totally do everything on that (only you might need smaller fingers).
Borrow an Artist Geek iPad outfitted with all of my recommended apps so you can try it out during the week before buying your own (Be sure to sign up fast for this option—only 2 available!)
I can also help you choose the right iPad for your needs before the retreat.
Not convinced yet?
You can absolutely use your Mac or PC for many of the systems and strategies we will cover here using the iPad. Plus you can borrow an iPad to try some things out during the week.
The Geek Retreat Week Take-Home Toolkit will help you streamline your time at the computer regardless of the actual machine used.
iPad Master Class
Have you ever wished you that someday you could afford to hire someone to make a professional video for you? What if you could make a really nice-looking video in no time flat? Just you and your iPad! No need for complex editing software, big budgets or oodles of time.
The world is different now. Technology empowers us to do the "someday" things right now, with the brilliantly simple tools we have in our hands today.
We'll explore many of the best (and easiest) apps and strategies for creating:
- Stunning artwork presentations and slideshows
- Professional quality videos, complete with transitions, titles and rolling credits
- Interactive books featuring your art... include demos, videos, slideshows and more
And even more....
Do you have things you do every day that seem to take forever? I know lots of shortcuts and tips and easier solutions, and I'm good at helping you learn them quickly. We'll have plenty of time for impromptu mini-sessions (possibly over plates of hors d'oeuvres...).
• Geek Retreat Week Toolkit to take home with you. Worksheets, resources, tech cheat sheets, and summaries of our sessions.
• TWO Post-retreat Group Q&A Calls so we can go over any questions or challenges that have arisen and make sure your new geekiness is becoming a habit.
INCLUDED BONUS SESSION:
One Day Photographic Boot Camp
Every artist is faced with this challenge and this question. Is it really necessary to have my work professionally photographed? In many cases... yes, absolutely.
But these days, with a little study and care, you can get good photos from your point & shoot camera or even your phone (if it is a pretty smart phone).
This session alone will save you lots of money and time (and help you be prepared for marketing opportunities)
We'll spend one day with our cameras (and yes, you could even use your iPad for this).
What you'll discover:
- Tips & tricks to help you take photos of your art that aren't all crooked, badly lit and blurry
- How to crop, resize and optimize your photos for the web and beyond (without spending a fortune on expensive software).
- The one essential tool that every artist should keep with their cameras.
After that, we'll go outside for a photo collaboration project.
One of the things that I love most is brainstorming and coming up with on-the-spot ideas and solutions. I'll admit that I do speak geek. Except I speak it in a non-intimidating way and with an artist's perspective.
If you've ever been talked at by a techie at a big box store, you know how nice it would be to learn this stuff from someone who even knows when Louise Nevelson's birthday is (maybe we'll bake a cake to celebrate).
The online ArtDates course is proving to be quite enjoyable. I love Laurie's sense of humour. She takes "scary" out of the business side of art and helps you to look at it from a different angle, as well as giving you tools to work with.
- Holly Dean, Merrickville, Ontario, Canada
I needed a website fast. Laurie made the process completely do-able (and even fun)!
- Anna Koloseike, Asheville NC
On simple technology:
I'm a bit of a techno-phobe...Laurie helped me find the right computer, camera, printer and applications, and patiently explains things (even over the phone) so I can understand them and get things done.
- Elizabeth French, Arlington VA
On stopping to look:
It was during an impromptu photo shoot with Laurie one year ago that I changed in how I see the world. I watched how she approached common objects: rocks, lichen, moss, grass etc and looked at them from different angles with different magnification levels and in different lighting. She really looked at them! I tried doing that too and found new joy in my life, not just behind the camera lens, but everywhere I look. I see colours, reflections, shapes, and wonders that I had been too busy to enjoy before. Thank you for the gift of knowing how wonderful it is to just stop and look.
- Shirley Baird, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Take a minute right now...
Is the frustration you feel when you sit down at the computer, or the worry in the back of your mind that you'll miss an opportunity from not being prepared keeping you from enjoying the flow of creativity you experience in your studio?
Imagine sitting down with your iPad and taking care of your business in no time. Then it's back to the studio...
Just click below and we'll get you all signed up right away for the Beach Geek Retreat Week from September 23-29 in Sandbridge, Virginia (yes, I admit it. Beach Geek Retreat Week is a little hard to say!)
One payment of $1497
Bring along a non-participating spouse/partner for an additional fee of $247 .
CONTACT ME for other payment options.
Or click here to reserve your space today with a deposit of $497
Beach Geek Retreat Week Includes:
The iPad Sessions
iPad Master Class
Photographic Boot Camp
One Hour In-Person Private Tutorial
On Demand Tech Solutions
Geek Retreat Week Take-Home Toolkit
Post-retreat support - 2 group Q&A calls
Yummy dinners (that YOU don't have to cook)
Click Sign Me Up (below) to reserve your spot and pay in full:
Or click here to reserve your space today
with a deposit of $497
Fine print: Cancellations accepted until September 1 ($597 non-refundable)
full refund is possible if your space is filled by another participant.
No refunds after September 1
PS If you are still wondering if this week is for you or if you have any questions at all, drop me a line.
I'll reply by email within 24 hours, and we can set up a quick phone chat, too.
I can't wait to see you at the beach!